Thursday, March 20, 2014

Imitation by Heather Hildenbrand

Title: Imitation (The Clone Chronicles #1)
Author: Heather Hildenbrand
Publication Date: March 12, 2013
Source: Via the author in exchange for review.

Everyone is exactly like me. 
There is no one like me. 
The rough fabric of my cotton nightgown chafes so I lie very still. They say my discomfort comes from being built like one accustomed to niceties. How is that fair when I myself have never experienced anything but copies of the real thing? 
My entire life is an imitation. 
I am an Imitation. 
I’ve been here five years. Training. Preparing. Waiting.
And now I have a letter.
My assignment has begun. 
I am a prisoner.

                                                                           I am not Raven Rogen.
                                                                           I am here to die.



Imitation is a fantastic story of genetic cloning & world domination. Well, kind of. Ven is an imitation. She is asked (forced) to step in for her Authentic due to death threats. Her mission? Help find out who is trying to kill "her" and save her Authentic. Imitation is a fast paced, exciting read that I thoroughly enjoyed!

I haven't read many books on cloning. So Imitation was a nice story to start out with. It was an interesting dynamic. You start out learning about the lives of the hundreds of Imitations within Twig City. Their daily routine, their friendships, their fears & expectations of the outside world. You quickly make a connection with Ven and I loved her through out the whole story.

There are a good many characters to learn in Imitation. Our main ones being Ven, Linc (her love interest) and Titus Rogen (her "fake" father). I loved the relationship between her & Linc. It was sweet & special without being "gag me with a spoon" sappy. I loved Linc's character & hope to learn more about him in books to come! Titus Rogen is demanding, controlling & violent. His mission in life? Take over the world. As much as I hated Titus, I liked him for the role he is playing. He makes a good villain. Of course you face many more faces in Imitation & I was happy with them all!

The world Ven lives in, I would describe as dystopian. Slightly, as in it's headed there fast. I enjoyed how Heather painted the scenes as they travel through out the city. You can really imagine yourself being there with them. From high society social events to the slums outside the inner city, you can easily immerse yourself into Ven's world.

Overall, I loved Imitation! I would definitely recommend this as a quick read to anyone who enjoys a strong female character. I highly doubt you will be disappointed.


*Heather recently released a NA version of Imitation called The Girl Who Wasn't. While it is the same story, she's added in the nitty gritty for those who prefer a more adult version. I haven't decided if I'm going to do a review on The Girl Who Wasn't just because it's the same! But I might do a quickie review just to give my two cents on the added extras! Let me know if you'd be interested in seeing that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Instagrams